Is it safe to take taxi in Turkey?
Posted by isturkeysafe
Thursday, July 12, 2018
Last Update : Sunday, July 7, 2019
TIPS TO AVOID TAXI SCAMS
- Make sure the taxi driver runs the taximeter before leaving. If he doesn't run the taximeter at the time of first move, you will probably be charged a higher amount than you should give when the route is over. Since taximeters are calibrated periodically, your risk of being swindled is much lower when the taximeter is run. You can check the estimated taxi fare for some cities in Turkey from below links:
- The taxi driver may offer a fixed price, do not accept it. The amount on taximeter will probably be much cheaper.
- Double check the taxi driver's route with navigation, warn him in an irrelevant situation. Unfortunately, many taxi drivers in Turkey may want to take you over meaningless routes to earn more money. If you don't follow up the route and he finds out that you don't know the city, he can ride you through the city just to reach a few miles.
- Before giving him the money, clearly count the money and say how much money you are giving. He may use sleight of hand to switch money you give him with a smaller one, and then he may start a show of indignation — like you’re the one trying to rip him off.
- Insist on change. If he says he has no change (he probably will), ask him to get it from a nearby shop.
UNLICENSED TAXIS IN TURKEYUnlicensed taxis in Turkey is also a major problem. Although licensed taxis are not very safe, it is much riskier to use an unlicensed one. When you get into a licensed taxi, there is a real driver in front of you in case of a legal issue. Unlicensed taxi ride is completely risky, you cannot even be sure of the existence of the driving person's driver’s license. Unlicensed taxis are not legal in Turkey. If the police stop the unlicensed taxi when you are in, you will get a penalty for using it. So how can you know if a taxi is licensed or not? Taxis in Turkey are usually yellow in color. But there are a few exceptions to this generalization. Recently, turquoise and black taxis serving high-end services in Istanbul have started to work. So, the color only is not an exact proof. On the other hand, there is a common point for all taxis in Turkey; the plate format. The middle part of the plate of all taxis begin with the letter 'T'. For example, plate format of Istanbul taxis is ‘34 Txx yyyy’. (34 shows the taxi is registered at Istanbul, x indicates random letters and y indicates random numbers) So you can understand whether the taxi is licensed or not by looking to the plate in Turkey.
TAXI PRICES IN TURKEYWhat about taxi prices? You can find the taximeter starting prices and Price-Per-Kilometer(PPK) taxi prices for major cities in Turkey below.
- Istanbul : Start-->4TL --- PPK-->2.5TL
- Ankara : Start-->4TL --- PPK-->3TL
- Antalya : Start-->3.75TL --- PPK-->3TL
- Izmir : Start-->3.9TL --- PPK-->3TL
As a result of the operation carried out in Istanbul, a gang aimed at frauding foreign tourists in particular was smashed. 23 taxi drivers were arrested within the scope of this operation. 38 driver's work licenses were canceled. Taxis used by detained taxi drivers were also banned from traffic.How important the measures mentioned above are revealed by this news. With this operation, the security authorities had a big blow to the taxi drivers who deceived the tourists. Nevertheless, it is a good idea to be careful when using taxi in Istanbul.