How bad is the crime in Turkey?
Posted by isturkeysafe
Saturday, June 30, 2018
Last Update : Friday, October 12, 2018
WHAT SHOULD YOU PAY ATTENTION TO WHEN TRAVELING ON THE STREET?
- When traveling outside, be careful not to put anything of value in your backpack. Keep your wallet and phone in your side pockets, if possible. Cramped areas such as escalators create an environment for thieves to attack your bag. It doesn't matter if the zipper of the bag is closed, usually thieves create a cut with a cutter tool and steal from this cut.
- If you are walking near the road, take care to keep your bag in the opposite direction of the road in order to avoid snatching.
- It may be useful to keep your hand on your valuables when walking through tight places (eg markets). In a tight walking area, a foreign hand can easily reach your pocket / bag.
- Be sure to whom you gave your phone/camera to take your photo. If you take a question like “Would you like me to take your photo” without your request at touristic places like Sultanahmet or Hagia Sophia, it would be better to make a negative return. Maybe it's a good-faith proposition, but you can't be sure. If you will give your phone/camera to a stranger to take your photo, it is better for you choose this person.
- Do not leave your bag unattended for any purpose. When you return, you may not find it in place. In addition, due to the terrorist incidents until 2016, the police are very sensitive about this. Even if it is at the place you left, it can be difficult for you to reach your bag because the area can be emptied and secured for safety reasons by the police.